Thank God for the advices you guys give on college entrance exams! Whenever I search for tips and hints, this website would always appear and I decided to visit here from time to time. Thank you again for all these! :D It helps me study in a more organized way.

by Ira on Guide to Writing your ACET Essay

Transferring Courses or UP Campuses Right after the UPCAT

As people, we sometimes change our minds about things, and that’s generally all right. This is sometimes seen in the way UP applicants decide to change campuses or courses.  I’m not referring to those who shift courses in the middle of their college life or to those who do so because they do not make the UPCAT cut.  There are students out there who seek options than the ones indicated on their application form.

The good news is that it is possible to make those changes provided you follow the rules and guidelines of the university.  Read on—you may find yourself in this situation in the future.

Changing Campuses Immediately After Passing the UPCAT

If you’d rather study in a UP unit (campus) other than Diliman, the first thing to do is to contact that unit and ask if you can do so.  Different campuses have different requirements based on UPCAT cut-off scores, available slots and other factors.  Ask your target campus what these are.

There is no real set process for transferring campuses immediately after passing the entrance test.  Diliman will simply ask you to accomplish a confirmation sheet that basically asks you whether you wish to proceed with your plan to study there or not.

 Warning: do not give up your Diliman campus slot and your chosen course there until your target campus accepts your request.  Otherwise, you’ll end up with no campus at all. Wait for the target campus’ response before letting them go.

If your campus of interest accepts, then inform Diliman by checking the appropriate options in the confirmation sheet.  After that, simply proceed with the normal registration process at that campus.

The interesting thing to note is that UP Diliman allows applicants to change their minds and transfer to other UP units (campuses) after the UPCAT, but not the other way round (unless the incoming transferee is an Oblation scholar).  This one-way system is due to the scarcity of available slots in the main campus.

Changing Courses Immediately After Passing the UPCAT

 If you’d rather remain at Diliman and pursue a different course instead, contact the college of the program you’re interested in.  Please coordinate with them as different colleges may have different registration processes and requirements with regard to your situation.

While it’s somewhat possible to change courses immediately, you may have to wait due to university rules and slot availability concerns.  This means that the actual qualifiers of your target course: The DPWAS (degree program with available slot) folks > The Shiftees > The Transferees > and those who have applied for UPCAT reconsideration will get first dibs at that course’s slots—usually in that order, though the university usually has the DPWAS and reconsideration folks go together after the others have had their chance.

If available slots still remain after the aforementioned people have claimed them, then you may go ahead and register at the college of your choice.  More often than not though, you will be advised to stick with the program you qualified in and just shift after you have enough units. [this goes for those who passed their first choice and want to transfer to their 2nd college course choice and those who qualified for their 2nd choice and wants to apply for reconsideration for their first choice].

 Special Cases: some students are allowed to change courses before enrollment.  these are the:

*  Oblation Scholars [Top 50 UPCAT Passers] – they are given the privilege to choose any course they like even if they did not indicate it on their application forms.

*  DOST Scholars and sometimes scholars from other programs:  Students with contracts with DOST to take engineering or science courses are sometimes allowed by the University to change courses before enrollment.

*  Students who passed the UPCAT but failed the Talent Test of their course [Music, Fine Arts, etc].  These students are given DPWAS status and thus can change courses before enrollment.

Contact Details

If you have any questions about changing UP or courses immediately after you pass the UPCAT, feel free to contact the Diliman University Registrar’s Office at (632) 981-8500 ;oca; 4555-56 or (632) 928-8369.



Ms. Merly of the UP Diliman Admissions Office

Ms. Nancy of the UP Diliman Registrar’s Office