@acadclinic is such a great help for preparation for upcat. =)

by AmythiaNichole Nichole Flowerette on Acadclinic @ Twitter

UP Certificate in Fine Arts Program Admission Basics

Not all students are meant for more “academic” courses.  Others have a penchant for painting, sculpting, industrial design and what not, and that’s perfectly all right.  The good news is that UP Diliman and UP Cebu have a course for more artistic individuals:  the aptly named Certificate in Fine Arts Program (CFA).


Just like any certificate course, high school graduates may apply for the CFA even if they haven’t taken (or passed) the UPCAT.  Test passers, however, are eligible for a bachelor’s course in Fine Arts instead.


The requirements are as follows:

  • a completed application form (with the essay at the back)
  • a report card with assessments up to the third grading period
  • an NSO birth certificate
  • certification of good moral character (written by high school principal)


Note that the College of Fine Arts will accept photocopies of these documents initially.


Speaking of the screening processes, the CFA has things in reverse.  The interview that usually comes after the written exam comes before everything else this time.  After that, the guidance office will then take applicants through a mental ability test to gauge their study habits.


The third step is the talent determination test, where school staff members will ask the applicants to showcase their artistic skills.  Assuming the applicants pass the entire screening process, the University will then ask them for the original versions of the documents mentioned above.


The College of Fine Arts also offers extra goodies for applicants who seek additional learning.  Students may also attend workshops for enrichment purposes, though these are not required to access the program.


For additional information on the CFA program, kindly visit this website or call (632) 981-8500 local 3977 or (632) 981-8732 or e-mail info@up-cfa.com for more details.  Feel free to check out UP Cebu’s website, too.  The contact person for the Fine Arts program over there is Professor Dennis Montera.  He may be reached at (6332) 233-8202.



Ms. Marisse of the UP Diliman College of Fine Arts Department



The UP TDT: Certificate in Music Program

The interesting thing about UP Diliman is that it offers a wide array of courses for students with different inclinations.  For instance, the aurally gifted may choose from a certificate, diploma or bachelor course in music.  This is one of the more artistically-inclined courses that includes a talent determination test.


The application process for the certificate music program is similar in nature to degree courses (as outlined here and here), with the application period set for the first quarter of the year.  Applicants will need to coordinate with the college secretary for instructions (please see contact numbers below), pay the 500-peso testing fee and bring the completed application form, 2 2×2 ID photos and other important documents.


To UPCAT or not to UPCAT


The interesting exception to this application process is that you need not take or pass the UPCAT in order to avail of it.  You will still need to go through a screening process, though.  Normally, the first part process involves written music theory exam held on a Saturday in March.


Assuming they pass it, applicants will then proceed to the next step, the Talent Determination Test or simply Talent Audition.  This is where the students strut their stuff and showcase their musical abilities to a critical audience.  The tricky part is that each department in the college of music has different audition requirements for applicants.  Please visit this webpage for a complete listing of what you’ll need to do for which department.


The final phase of the screening process involves the mandatory face-to-face interview.


What’s the Difference?


You may be wondering what the difference is between a certificate, diploma and bachelor courses.  Don’t they all have something to do with music?  Yes, they do, yet they all differ with respect to depth and breadth.


Basically, a certificate course will train you in the performance aspect of music for three years.  A four-year diploma course will throw in the theoretical side of the field as well.  Finally, a diploma course lasts for five years and includes a more comprehensive look at music than either of the previous courses.


If you think you are destined for a course in music, please call (02) 9296963 or (02) 9818500 local 2627 for more information.  You may also send e-mail to gtmalicdem@up.edu.ph, or kindly visit this link.





Ms. Dory of the UP Diliman College of Music Admissions Staff