Hey! First of all I would like to say that I love your site!! I learned a lot of tips for the last 50 minutes of reading this article and the comments (plus your replies).

by Nelly on 10 Less Known Facts about the UPCAT

The UP TDT: Certificate in Music Program

The interesting thing about UP Diliman is that it offers a wide array of courses for students with different inclinations.  For instance, the aurally gifted may choose from a certificate, diploma or bachelor course in music.  This is one of the more artistically-inclined courses that includes a talent determination test.


The application process for the certificate music program is similar in nature to degree courses (as outlined here and here), with the application period set for the first quarter of the year.  Applicants will need to coordinate with the college secretary for instructions (please see contact numbers below), pay the 500-peso testing fee and bring the completed application form, 2 2×2 ID photos and other important documents.


To UPCAT or not to UPCAT


The interesting exception to this application process is that you need not take or pass the UPCAT in order to avail of it.  You will still need to go through a screening process, though.  Normally, the first part process involves written music theory exam held on a Saturday in March.


Assuming they pass it, applicants will then proceed to the next step, the Talent Determination Test or simply Talent Audition.  This is where the students strut their stuff and showcase their musical abilities to a critical audience.  The tricky part is that each department in the college of music has different audition requirements for applicants.  Please visit this webpage for a complete listing of what you’ll need to do for which department.


The final phase of the screening process involves the mandatory face-to-face interview.


What’s the Difference?


You may be wondering what the difference is between a certificate, diploma and bachelor courses.  Don’t they all have something to do with music?  Yes, they do, yet they all differ with respect to depth and breadth.


Basically, a certificate course will train you in the performance aspect of music for three years.  A four-year diploma course will throw in the theoretical side of the field as well.  Finally, a diploma course lasts for five years and includes a more comprehensive look at music than either of the previous courses.


If you think you are destined for a course in music, please call (02) 9296963 or (02) 9818500 local 2627 for more information.  You may also send e-mail to gtmalicdem@up.edu.ph, or kindly visit this link.





Ms. Dory of the UP Diliman College of Music Admissions Staff