I wish I followed you before I took the ACET.

by PaulDelights on Twitter

Philippine College Scholarships: OWWA EDSP Scholarship

Children of Overseas Filipino Workers (OFWs) face the challenge of growing up in a home where at least one parent is not physically present.  Perhaps that is why certain organizations have chosen to act compassionately toward them and to assist them in any way they can.  One such organization is the Overseas Workers Welfare Administration (OWWA).


One way that the OWWA helps children of OFWs is by providing scholarship grants for qualifying candidates.  The Education for Development Scholarship Program (EDSP) is one of their trademark grants.  If you have a parent or sibling working overseas and you’re looking for financial assistance for your schooling, check the following terms out.


EDSP Terms and Eligibility Requirements


Basically, the EDSP provides for 30,000 pesos a semester or a maximum of 60,000 pesos a school year for qualified beneficiaries.  This applies to a four or five-year baccalaureate course in any of the program’s participating universities.  The OWWA pays the scholars’ tuition fees directly to their school.  It releases the balance to the scholars once they submit their grades for the agreed-upon term duration.

To qualify, prospective candidates must meet the following criteria:

  • They must have an OWWA member for a parent or a sibling (the member must be unmarried in the latter case).
  • They must be a Filipino citizen younger than 21 years of age.
  • They need to be of good physical shape and sport good moral character.
  • They must be part of the top 20% of their senior year in high school.
  • They should not have earned any college or post-secondary school units yet at the time of their application.
  • They must not be enjoying any other scholarship grant at the time of their application.

The scholars’ have responsibilities to fulfill during the duration of their program.  Besides the obvious requirement of maintaining the minimum grade for their continued scholarship, they and their parents (or legal guardian) must enter into a scholarship agreement with the OWWA.  The latter party will provide other terms and conditions for them to comply with.

Please note that scholarship grants are for successful applicants only—they are non-transferable.  Furthermore, the OWWA makes it a point to recognize and honor outstanding scholars in their respective fields.

On Documents and Selection

Please note that applicants need to turn several documents in as well. These include:

  • 2 copies of the accomplished application form
  • A couple of 2×2 size ID photos
  • Proof of OWWA membership – the OWWA provides an official receipt of contribution/certification via its Membership Registry Division.
  • Evidence of the applicants’ relationship to an OWWA member – an NSO-certified or local civil registrar-certified birth certificate.  This applies to both the single OFW and the applicant-dependent OFW.
  • High school report card (Form 137)
  • NSO Certificate of No Marriage (for unmarried OFWs only)
  • A written certificate confirming the applicants’ physical fitness (Form B)
  • A Certificate of Good Moral Character accomplished by the applicants’ guidance counselor or high school principal (Form C)
  • A certificate from the high school principal vouching for the applicants’ status as members of the top 20% of their graduation batch (Form D)
  • Applicants’ written statement that they have not earned any college units or post-secondary units yet (Form E)
  • Applicants’ sworn statement—signed by parents or legal guardians—attesting to their non-dual citizenship and to the lack of a pending application for resident immigrant status from any country. pending application (Form F)

The OWWA Scholarship Committee selects, ranks and recommends applicants based on how well the latter do on a qualifying test.  Should you have any questions about the EDSP, feel free to contact the OWWA at (632) 891-7601 locals 5214 or 5206, (632) 804-0640 or (632) 834-0717.  E-mail goes to owwa-ncr@owwa.gov.ph.  Alternatively, you may also reach any of the regional offices listed here.