Heavy Equipment Mechanic Course and Career Info Description
To be a heavy equipment mechanic, you need to have a high school diploma and extensive training program on how to operate and maintain heavy equipment. Aside from this, you will also receive on-the-job training for the company you’re going to work for. The training program will teach you the basics in diesel engines, how to use hand as well as power tools, the fundamentals in electrical systems and hydraulics, as well as using computers.
Cost of Education:
For a three-month training program, you have to prepare to shell out P6,000 to about P8,000.
Top Universities for Course:
- There are TESDA-certified schools that offer heavy equipment mechanic training programs. One of these is the Monark Foundation, Inc. in Quezon City. They have branches and training centers in San Pedro, Laguna as well as Cagayan de Oro. You could also try Manantan Institute of Science and Technology in Pangasinan. You can also find their offices in Urdaneta City as well as Cordon, Isabela. MIST is TESDA accredited.
Top Universities Link:
Course Skills and Factors
- Drive to learn new skills.
- Physically healthy and fit, especially since this job involves lifting heavy objects as well as bending and stooping activities.
- Good physical stamina.
- Good knowledge of the heavy equipment and machinery.
- Skill in troubleshooting problems and looking for practical solutions.
- Skill in using tools, be it hand tools or power tools.
- Ability to easily comprehend manuals.
- Computer skill.
- Communication skills, be it oral or written.
- The main responsibility of a heavy equipment mechanic is to ensure that heavy trucks, machineries, equipments, etc. are always in excellent working conditions. They not only inspect these but also diagnose the problem, look for solutions, and repair or replace parts as needed. They also fabricate parts or modify existing parts. Other duties include maintenance of heavy equipment, overhauling heavy equipment, as well as preparing work orders in addition to estimating the cost of materials.
Career Outlook and Global Demand
There is a good demand for heavy equipment mechanics. Countries that are hiring Filipino heavy equipment mechanic are Angola, Canada, New Zealand, Australia, Saudi Arabia, UAE, Qatar, and Singapore.
The salary of a heavy equipment mechanic ranges from P10,000 to P18,000. The salary though depends upon the company that employs him as well as the mechanic’s skill and experience.
Opportunities for Advancement:
From entry-level heavy equipment mechanic, you could advance to a supervisory position such as a shop supervisor or a service manager. You could even open up your own business and work independently or teach at a TESDA-accredited heavy equipment mechanic training center.