Computer Systems Analyst Course and Career Info Description
Computer Science & Technolog
The college course to take up if you want to become a computer systems analyst is B.S. Computer Science. If you want to advance in your career quickly, then you also need to take up more advanced computer and electronic courses. B.S. Computer Science teaches students how to design and develop computer programs. It also teaches students about computer networks, software, applications, operating systems, computer programming, as well as computer architecture.
Cost of Education:
B.S. Computer Science is going to cost you at least P110,000 to as much as P30,000 for the whole four-year course. The cost of education is higher if you enroll yourself in a private university.
Top Universities for Course:
- Some universities that offer excellent B.S. Computer Science and computer-related courses are the University of the Philippines (Diliman, Los Banos, and Cebu), Ateneo de Manila (Quezon City), and De La Salle University (Manila). Other universities that also offer quality information technology courses are Mapua Institute of Technology (Makati), Technological Institute of the Philippines (Manila and Quezon City) University of the East (Manila), and Far Eastern University – East Asia College (Manila).
Top Universities Link:
Course Skills and Factors
- Patience and ability to listen to people, especially if you will be working with a team.
- Observant and attentive. You need to be able to easily detect if something is wrong.
- Analytical mind and ability to think outside the box. You need to be able to find a relationship among unrelated events and produce answers that not only make sense but practical as well.
- Good knowledge of computer systems.
- Skill in problem-solving and math.
- Good communication skills and good rapport with people.
- Good knowledge not only of design techniques but also its tools and principles as well.
- Skill in producing detailed and accurate technical plans, including its drawings as well as models and blueprints.
- Skill in identifying, analyzing, and reviewing complex problems to look for practical solutions.
- The main responsibility of a computer systems analyst is to analyze and solve problems relating to computers, some examples of which include malfunction, software and hardware problems, and installation problems. The computer systems analyst is also responsible for testing as well as maintaining computers and its programs, systems, and installations. In addition to this, it is also his responsibility to link the computer systems to improve the efficiency of the work flow.
Career Outlook and Global Demand
There will be an increasing need for computer systems analysts as the information technology further advances. Some countries that are hiring Filipino computer systems analysts are Micronesia, Saudi Arabia, Bahrain, and even Australia.
Entry-level computer systems analysts usually earn P30,000 to P35,000, depending upon the company. However, if you are highly skilled and have taken up additional advanced courses, the salary could go up to P40,000 each month. Abroad, you could earn as much as $5,600.
Opportunities for Advancement:
You could advance from the entry-level computer systems analyst position to middle-management positions, some examples of which are project manager as well as information systems manager. From these positions, you could also move up to chief information officer.