Architect Course and Career Info Description
To be an architect, you need to have a degree in architecture. This five-year course teaches you not only the principles in architecture, but its history as well. You will learn hand drafting and drawing techniques, construction materials and their applicable standards, architectural designs including spatial concepts, color, perspective, relationship with objects, among others. You will learn about building construction including insulation, roofing, flooring, etc. In addition to all these, you will also have to complete your internship program and training with architectural firms. Finally, you need to pass the licensure examination to be able to practice your profession.
Cost of Education:
Depending upon the school, the average cost of a semester ranges anywhere from P25,000 to P35,000.
Top Universities for Course:
- The top five universities that offer architecture include the University of the Philippines in Diliman with a passing average of 95.50; University of Santo Tomas, 68.25; Saint Louis University, 66.75; Ateneo de Davao University, 64.25; and University of San Carlos, 63.75. You can see the full list of the top universities by following this link.
Top Universities Link:
Course Skills and Factors
- Creative and artistic. How good you are as an architect is largely influenced by your designs.
- Good rapport with clients. You will be working with different clients, so having a pleasant personality and easy-to-work-with attitude will help you a lot in getting clients.
- Can work independently or with a team. There will be times where you’ll be working with other people. Being a team player and a professional will help you advance in your career.
- Skilled in drawing and art, with good understanding of spatial relationships with elements.
- Computer literate, for CADD or computer-aided design and crafting.
- Skilled in organization with an eye for details.
- Skilled in communication, both written and oral communications.
- As an architect, your main task is to provide your clients with architectural designs, taking into consideration the feasibility of your design as well as its impact to the environment. To visually communicate your ideas to your client, you have to prepare your drawings together with a detailed report of the construction plans, including cost analysis. In addition to this, it is also your responsibility to check the construction site and see to it that the contractor you helped to select is following the plan you showed your client.
Career Outlook and Global Demand
Some countries that are hiring Filipino architects include the Middle East such as Saudi Arabia, Qatar, Oman, and Bahrain where there is a construction boom happening. Canada is also hiring Filipino architects. Locally though, our increasing population means a need for more housing, so expect to have ample job opportunities for the coming years.
In the country, architects usually earn P16,000 to P21,000, depending upon the employer. However, if you work abroad, you can earn as much as $1,400 to $2,800 monthly.
Opportunities for Advancement:
You can work for an architectural firm, where you’ll be working with a team. But with experience, training, and continuing education, you might be given the opportunity to supervise entire projects. You can even advance to supervisory as well as managerial positions in time.
You also have the option to become an independent practitioner, an interior or industrial designer, construction manager, etc.