HERO Foundation, Inc. is a non-stock, not-for-profit organization that was organized by the late President Corazon C. Aquino in 1988 with then Armed Forces of the Philippines Chief of Staff Gen. Renato de Villa, who called on the business community to respond to the growing needs of the families our “heroes” have left behind.
HERO stands for Help, Educate, and Rear Orphans. Since then, the foundation has been providing educational stipends to military orphans. The financial support helps keep orphans in school as it covers much needed requirements such as school supplies, transportation, meals and even a portion of their tuition fee.
Today, the foundation is managed by a Board of Trustees whose members are likewise, active business leaders who believe in HERO’s advocacy.
For 23 years now, the foundation has not wavered in its commitment to provide educational support to the children of our soldiers and ensure that they have a better chance at a brighter future. Number of Scholars Supported
To date, a total of 2,156 scholars have received the blessings given by HERO Foundation, Inc. 854 scholars have graduated from College. Of these graduates, some are engineers, nurses, doctor, flight attendants, police, soldiers and more. With our current active scholars of 707, we hope to have more graduates who can stand on their own and help their families earn a living.
HERO aims to provide educational assistance in the form of stipends to children of Filipino soldiers killed in action (KIA) or totally incapacitated while in the line of duty by helping these children obtain a college or university degree, or a certificate in a vocational course, in order to give them a competitive chance in finding good and decent jobs or profession. This will in turn provide them a better opportunity to help their families and become productive members of our society.
The privilege shall be limited to the granting of a stipend which shall be used in paying school expenses. The amount given as stipend at three educational levels are the ff:
Elementary — P 5,000.00
High School — P 8,000.00
College — P 16,000 (for 4-5 years)
or Vocational course — P 16,000 (not to exceed 2 years)
Releasing of stipends will be given on a staggered basis instead of giving them in full as a control measure and to ensure that the stipends are properly utilized by the scholars.
For Elementary – stipend is given 2x a year or P2,500 per semester
For High School – stipend is given 4x a year or P2,000 per quarter.
For College – stipend is given 4x a year or P4,000 per half (½) semester or Vocational Course – stipend is given 2x a year or P4,000 per semester
1. This educational assistance shall be extended to one son or daughter of a soldier who was killed or permanently incapacitated in action while in the performance of his duty.
2. Scholarship/educational support shall be limited to elementary, high schools, vocational courses and four-to five year collegiate courses in non-exclusive educational institutions.
3. An application for the scholarship grant may be filed following the death or declaration of permanent incapacity of the military personnel parent.
4. A grantee is entitled to a scholarship grant leading to one collegiate degree only.
5. The privilege shall be limited to the granting of a stipend which shall be used in paying school expenses.
6. A grantee shall continue to enjoy the benefits as long as he/she satisfactorily passes the course of instruction based on the approved standards of the school. In case of failure in any subject or any school year, the benefits shall be suspended and shall resume only after the grantee passes the subjects he or she previously failed, or has repeated the entire school year satisfactorily.
7. A graduating scholar from high school must attain an academic average grade of 80% or above to qualify for college assistance.Otherwise, vocational education of not more two years is offered.
8. This scholarship grant is not transferable.
1. Applications of children of military personnel who were assigned with the major services such as the Army, Air Force, Navy at time of the military personnel’s death shall be filed with the Office of the Assistant Chief of Staff for Personnel of the major services, while those assigned with the area commands or at GHQ shall be filed with AFP-EBSO (Educational Benefits Systems Office) at Logcom Compound, Camp Aguinaldo,Quezon City.
Application may be filed by the following:
-The incapacitated military personnel, his wife or designated representative;
-The legitimate children of the the soldier KIA or permanently incapacitated military personnel;
-The legal guardian on behalf of a legitimate child.
The following are the supporting documents to be submitted:
-Fully accomplished application form to be secured from the Office of the Assistant Chief of Staff for Personnel of the major services or at AFP-EBSO, GHQ, AFP.
-Original or authenticated copies of the following:
1. Birth certificate of the applicant
2. Marriage certificate of the soldier KIA order of military personnel.
3. A copy of the After-Operation Report stating that the soldier was KIA or permanently incapacitated while in the line of duty.
-Report Cards in elementary, high school or college.
-Certificate of Enrollment / Registration or Enrollment Receipt.
-One (1) 1 x 1 ID picture of the applicant.
2. AFP-EBSO consolidates the application and submits them to HERO Foundation by end of March of each year.
3. HERO Foundation determines who among the commended applicants by AFP-EBSO are qualified for scholarship grant.
4. HERO Foundation’s Executive Director makes the recommendation to the Board of Trustees that meets in October yearly. Then, HERO Board approves the grant of scholarship or financial support.
5. Upon approval of the grant, a Certificate of Award is signed by the President of HERO and is sent to the grantee who, by then, is considered as a new HERO Foundation, Inc. scholar.
address: Room 203, 2nd Floor, AFP-GIC Bldg., EDSA corner B. Serrano Street, 1110 Quezon City, Philippines
Number of Slots
Scholarship Application Schedule
|Application Period||Exam Schedule||Scholarship Results Date|
|before the starts of the academic year||no examinations||please visit the Hero Foundation Inc. Office|
Scholarship Exam Coverage