Athletic Scholarships are awarded to student-athletes who have excelled in sports and academics. The following are the sports which are granted scholarship slots: Athletics, Badminton, Baseball, Basketball, Chess, Fencing, Football, Judo, Lawn Tennis, Softball, Swimming, Table Tennis, Tae kwon do, and Volleyball.
The University Athletics Office manages and supports all the Ateneo de Manila University’s accredited athletic teams, from the Preschool thru to the Loyola Schools. The offices of the University Athletics are housed in the historic Blue Eagle Gym on Ateneo’s Loyola Heights Campus.
-recruited student-athletes and senior student-athletes are full scholars while the rest have a discounted tuition fee. a bigger discount depends on how long you’ve been on the active roster of the team.
-Scholars in need of academic assistance may avail of the tutorial services offered by different student organizations such as Gabay, Ateneo Mathematics Society (AMS), League of Physicists (LeaPs) and the Ateneo Chemistry Society (Aches). Scholars may also request for a tutor at the Office of Admission and Aid (OAA) where upperclass scholars are tapped as tutors. This is credited as service hours to the tutors.
-ADMU cagers are the only athletes with a monthly allowance of approximately P 3,000.00
-Athletes get free meals after practices and games, as well as shoes and uniforms. They are also insured, and have exclusive use of the weights room and other sports facilities at ADMU’s Moro Lorenzo Sports Center.
-The Ateneo Sports Foundation is composed of alumni help in the sports program. Generally, it grants scholarships and shoulders transportation and accommodations during national competitions. It also hosts ADMU’s victory parties and sponsors prizes and trips abroad.
Aside from being financially challenged, applicants must have outstanding athletic ability and must be a recipient of awards in their specific sport.
1. direct recruitment-pertains to players who were already singled out before they actually entered the Ateneo. whether or not they passed the ACET, they will be accepted to the college as a “pressure case” and be put under probation. They simply have to get a QPI of 1.8 in the first sem to stay in the college.
2. indirect recruitment-pertains to players who actually passed the ACET and then tried out for the varsity. Most of them made it to the team in their sophomore or junior years. Some where given due credit after excellent performances in the intramurals, being members of champion junior teams, and through their good reputation in the covered courts.
3. The walk-ins- these are the players who are true-blue Ateneans and were members of minor teams in high-school or were bench warmers in the juniors but improved in college and performed extremely well in the tryouts.
4. Back-door entries- those who were not freshmen in Ateneo but transferred to join athletics.
1. Applicants must complete the Athletic Scholarship Application Form from the University Athletics Office and secure the recommendation of the Ateneo coach and program head for the sport. All scholars are required to pass by the OAA every registration period to present their complete grades and to have their Tuition Assessment Form stamped before proceeding to the Cashier’s Office. Athletic scholars must secure the stamp at the University Athletics Office.
2. Ateneo demands a minimum QPI of 1.8 for freshmen and sophomores, and 2.0 for juniors and seniors. Failure to meet these marks would lead to academic probation, making one ineligible to participate in any of the sporting events or even the training sessions. On the other hand, expulsion will be carried out if the student-athlete on probation fails to meet the required QPI in the following semester.
3. Athletic scholars are required to report to the College Athletics Coordinator each semester.
Number of Slots
Scholarship Application Schedule
|Application Period||Exam Schedule||Scholarship Results Date|
|August 15, 2014, Friday, 5:00 pm||http://www.ateneo.edu/ls/undergraduate/apply-ateneo/deadlines||January 2015|
Scholarship Exam Coverage
- Ateneo College Entrance Test (ACET) coverage