I’ve just stumbled upon your site while searching for a tutorial on an related subject. Glad I did too. There’s a lot I like. Anyway, you’ve been bookmarked and I’ll be back soon.

Step by Step: Transferring to UP Diliman from another University


By: Marnelli Catacutan

When you found out you flunked the University of the Philippines College Admission Test (UPCAT), your dreams of walking around the academic oval while wearing your U.P. shirt, witnessing rallies started at the Palma Hall, riding Ikot and Toki jeepneys just to get into your next class… just popped like bubbles. You didn’t find your name on the UPCAT passers list. You must have started moping around, regretting why you didn’t study one more week, blaming yourself for watching a drama series instead of studying basic Chemistry, and probably, you have just said goodbye to your UP dreams. To Oble. To the UP life.

Well, let me break it to you: it’s not the end of your UP chronicles just yet.

Upon the release of results online, you could go to UP-OUR (Office of the University Registrar) to find out your UPG (University Predicted Grade; 40% high school grade and 60% UPCAT grade). Just present your valid ID and they’d give you a small piece of paper indicating your UPG. You can’t do something with it though. You have to wait for the letter sent by UP indicating your UPG and subtest scores. If your UPG met the cut-off of other UP campuses or even the campus of your choice in the application, file a reconsideration right away after receiving the letter.

You got reconsidered? Congratulations! Welcome to UP, Iskolar ng Bayan!

You didn’t get reconsidered? And you want to study in UP Diliman? You want to study in the flagship campus of the premiere national state university? Yes, but I failed UPCAT. I didn’t get reconsidered, too.

You want to get into UP Diliman, but wasn’t able to take the UPCAT? Yes.

Do you really, really want to study in UPD? Yes!

Then here’s what you’ve got to do:

  1. Enroll in a university, acquire at least 33 units (excluding PE subjects and Theology), and maintain at least a General Weighted Average of 2.0 (on a 1-point grading system, of course; UP will re-compute your GWA if you have a different grading system, you don’t have to worry). Some colleges and degree programs set GWA cut-offs for as high as 1.50, and higher GWA means higher chances of getting in, too, so do your best.

Every year, UP Diliman releases its cut-off grades per degree program, including requirements and schedules, so check out for that at upd.edu.ph. They usually update their T2 (Transfer 2) requirements by March.

  1.  File for an application for transfer. You’ll need 1 original copy and 4 photocopies of your True Copy of Grades or Report of Ratings (do not file for a TOR from your school until you’re accepted), fully-accomplished Form 3, and two 2×2 or two passport-size ID pictures.

► Form 3. This could be obtained from OUR or you could download it from the website and print your own copy. In this, you’d be asked personal information and you get to choose 3 degree programs (ranked according to your preference) you wanted to apply for.

► Degree programs. There are no degree programs that are easy to get into. There are only programs that are hard to get into, and programs that are harder to get into.

► Not all degree programs accept transferees. In 2014, here are the programs who didn’t accept transferees:

  • Industrial Engineering
  • Community Nutrition
  • Food Technology
  • Biology

UPD-Institute of Biology doesn’t accept T1, T2, S1, S2; In short, they’re exclusive to their very own UPCAT passers. If you’re interested in taking BS Bio, you could take Molecular Biology and Biotechnology (BS MBB) instead.

**Business Administration and Accountancy only accepts applicants from CHED level IV schools only.

► No shifting policy. Some people apply for degree programs that are not much applied for hoping for a slot. Do not (if you do not really like the program). Some of them have this ‘no shifting policy’ wherein upon admission, you’d be asked to sign a contract that says you couldn’t shift-out from your current degree program and you would have to finish it if you want to stay in UP. Some of them are Community Development, Social Work, and Family Life and Child Development.

  1. Wait until May and call OUR or the college you applied for to inquire if you have passed the initial requirements. This is mainly about meeting the required GWA so you are most likely to perceive beforehand if you made it. After this, contact the colleges of your initially passed degree programs and ask for schedules for submission of other requirements, as well as exams, interviews, aptitude tests, orientation or whatever you’re program would require.
  1. Do well in your exams, interviews, aptitude tests, orientation, etc. At this stage, they say, your GWA wouldn’t dictate your admission anymore.

Remember, you are battling against thousands of people (around 6000 to 8000 applies each year and less than ten percent gets in); you are battling against UPCAT passers; you are battling against students running for Latin honors around the country; you are battling to become one of the cream of the cream.

Ranked according to priority for slots:

  • S1= shiftees within the college
  • S2= shiftees within UP Diliman
  • T1= transferees within the UP System (transferees from UPM, UPMin, UP Tacloban, UP Iloilo, UPV, UPDEPP, UPOU)
  • T2= transferees from other universities
  1. Wait for the results. You may contact them through phone, by going to their office or by waiting for announcements in their Facebook pages.
  1. If you get in: Congratulations! Now, you’d be working on your papers to officially be an Iskolar ng Bayan. You’d be needing the following:
  • 2 2×2 ID pictures
  • College admission slip
  • Medical Certificate (from the Public Health department of UP Health Services)
  • 2 fully accomplished information sheets (OUR)
  • Honorable Dismissal
  • Transcript of records
  • Photocopy of your NSO-birth certificate (bring with you your original copy for reference) and marriage contract if married.

Upon registration, you’d be given your University Admission Slip, your student number and your temporary CRS account for enlisting courses.

Good luck, Isko/ Iska! God bless!


While every effort has been made to keep this website accurate and updated, Academic-Clinic.com makes no guarantees about the veracity and accuracy of the information it provides.

Academic-Clinic.com has been established to provide students and their parents an additional source of timely and relevant information.  It is not meant to serve as nor claim to be a replacement for the information portals of universities, schools, government agencies, private organizations, and any other entities we may have used as references.

Please be advised. Thank you.

Leave a comment

11 thoughts on “Step by Step: Transferring to UP Diliman from another University

  1. I’m from PUP po 3rd year Diploma in Electrical Engineering Technology student. Kung magttransfer po ba ako maccredit po ba mga grades ko o babalik po ako ng 1st year? Gusto ko po kasi magtransfer sa BSEE.

    • For specific answers regarding crediting of units if accepted as a transfer student, please contact the Electrical and Electronics Engineering Institute of UP Diliman at:

      College of Engineering
      University of the Philippines
      EEEI Bldg., Velasquez St.
      Diliman, Quezon City, Philippines, 1101

      Telephone: (632) 925 2958
      Fax: (632) 925 2957

  2. Hello po ask ko lang po kung pede pa po ko mag take ng UPCAT this aug 2016 nag stop po kasi ako ng 1yr so ngayon aug lang din mag start ako as 1st year college. i hope na pwede po sana ko mag take ng upcat kasi matatapos ko din naman po yung 1 yr ko as freshmen student so kung makapasa po sana ako ok po kasi aug pasukan sa up thanks pls reply. Asap.

  3. Good day, po! I do really want to study in UPD. I’m from other school since I was not able to pass the UPCAT. Do I still have a chance (can i still apply?) to be accepted in my desired program if ever I could not reach their required GWA but that I have a GWA better than 2.0 in the school where I studied at? I am looking forward po sa inyong magiging sagot. Thank you.

  4. what if I have a very bad GWA at my first year in other university and I plan of transferring to UPD, and I have a chance on making my GWA improved at my 2nd year? would that be possible for me to enter on UP?

  5. Pingback: College Chronicles: Transferring to UP Diliman | zllb

  6. Pingback: College Chronicles: Transferring to UP Diliman | Impervious Obscurity

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *