The University of the Philippines was just 3 years old when it established a Pharmacy course under the College of Liberal Arts. When a complete course leading to a Bachelor of Science in Pharmacy was offered in 1913, early enrollees included two Kapampangans—Jose Maria Feliciano and Anatolia Panlilio of San Fernando, who would go on to be achievers, husband-and-wife, and parents to three accomplished children.
Jose Ma. Feliciano was the son of Mauricio Feliciano and Graciana Tiomico, born on 22 October 1887. He studied at the Pampanga High School and the Philippine Normal School. At the state university, he took up Pharmacy and became an active member of various student organizations like the Kappa Upsilons, Philippine Scientific Society and Sigma Pi Sigma.
After receiving his Pharmacy degree, he also earned his Bachelor of Arts and Bachelor of Science degree in 1917. He went on to finish his doctoral degree at the University of Santo Tomas in 1921. Not content with Pharmacy, he pursued and finished his doctorate in Geology at the University of Chicago.
It was in the latter course that Dr. Feliciano would gain renown and recognition. As a learned and dedicated scientist, he became Head of the U.P. Department of Geology and Geography in 1936, and stayed on in the university despite attractive offers from private companies. He organized professional groups like the Geological Society of the Philippines, the Philippine Geographic Society and the Society of Mining, Metallurgical and Geological Engineers. Jose passed away on 22 February 1955. In 1965, a scholarship was put up by UP in his name, as a tribute to his accomplishments.
The scholarship amounts to the sum of PhP 25,000.00 every semester (excluding
1. The applicant must be a bonafide student of the University of the Philippines, Diliman who is at least of second year standing and with at least one (1) year residence in the College of Science.
2. The applicant must be enrolled in a BS degree program of the College of
3. The applicant must have a Curriculum Weighted Average Grade (CWAG) of 1.80 or better and must not have incurred a grade of 2.50 in any subjects taken. An applicant with a grade of “INC” may still qualify provided the deficiency had been completed before application.
4. The applicant must comply with University and College of Science rules on probation and good scholastic standing (e.g. 60% rule/semester and 24-unit rule/academic year).
5. The annual gross income of the applicant’s family must not exceed PhP 300,000 based on their income tax returns, or the applicant falls under STFAP Brackets D – E.
6. The applicant must be of good moral character and have not been the subject of any disciplinary action by the University, nor have been convicted of any crime.
1. The applicant must be enrolled in the Master’s Program of the College of Science, University of the Philippines, Diliman, Quezon City, and in good standing upon acceptance of the Scholarship.
2. An applicant who has been enrolled in the Master’s Program for at least
one semester must have a Curriculum Weighted Average Grade (CWAG)
of 1.75 or better and a General Weighted Average (GWA) of 1.75 or better for the preceding semester (for freshmen) or two preceding semesters (for non-freshmen).
An applicant who has not taken any graduate course must have a CWAG of 2.0 or better in his/her BS program.
3. The applicant must not have incurred a grade lower than 2.0. An applicant with a grade of “INC” may still qualify provided the deficiency had been completed before application.
4. The annual gross income of the applicant’s family or the applicant (if employed) must not exceed PhP 300,000 based on their income tax returns.
5. The applicant must be of good moral character and must not have been been the subject of any disciplinary action by the University nor have been convicted of any crime.
1. Duly accomplished application form
2. One (1) 2”x 2” photo
3. Income Tax Return (ITR) of parents must not exceed PhP 300,000 p.a.
4. Most recent True Copy of Grades with a computation of Cumulative Weighted Average Grade (CWAG) of 1.80 or better and must not have incurred a grade of 2.50 in any subjects taken. For Graduate Scholarship (CWAG) not lower than 1.75
5. Certification of good moral character from the College and Office of Student Disciplinary Tribunal (SDT), Rm. 202, Vinzon’s Hall.
6. Two recommendation letters from former professors
Renewal of the scholarship is NOT automatic, A recipient must apply again for the scholarship for the following semester and will be evaluated together with the new applicants subject to all conditions stated in the qualifications above.
Number of Slots
Scholarship Application Schedule
|Application Period||Exam Schedule||Scholarship Results Date|
|August 22, 2014||no examinations||to be announced by Office of the Associate Dean for Student and Public Affairs, CS|
Scholarship Exam Coverage