Retail Salesperson Course & Career Info Description
You can be a retail salesperson even if you only have a high school diploma, but if you want an advantage over other applicants, having a college education will give you an edge. The training for retail salespersons, however, is usually given in-house. This means that you will have to undergo a training course first before you begin work as a retail salesperson. The training course teaches you customer service skills as well as product familiarization. In addition to this, you will also be taught basic office skills such as cash register operation, computer skills, etc.
Cost of Education:
Education is free if you are going to enroll in a public school, but if you choose to enroll in a private school, it is going to cost you anywhere from P20,000 yearly to about P35,000 yearly. As for the cost of college education, it will depend upon the type of course you are going to take.
Top Universities for Course:
- Olivarez College in Manila
- University of Santo Tomas in Manila
- Arellano University in Manila
- Eulogio Amang Rodriguez Institute of Science and Technology in Manila
Top Universities Link:
Course Skills and Factors
- Good office skills
- Knowledge of sales techniques
- Knowledge of products and/or service
- Communication skills, be it verbal or written
- Persuasive yet tactful
- Patient and courteous
- Well-groomed with pleasant personality
- Ability to deal with different types of people
- The primary responsibility of a retail salesperson is to move the products from the storage area to the display and sales area. It is also his responsibility to arrange them on display as well as see to it that the quality of the products is excellent. In addition to this, the retail salesperson is also responsible for deliveries of the products, if needed, as well as making the receipts and writing the bill.
Career Outlook and Global Demand
There is a good demand for retail salespersons locally, both for full-time jobs and part-time jobs. The demand will only increase as businesses expand and new stores open. As for global demand, Oman and Qatar are open for Filipino retail salesman. Kuwait and Saudi Arabia are also hiring from the Philippines.
Retail salespersons usually earn minimum salary. Depending on the company though as well as the product or service offered, the salary could increase due to incentives, commissions, and bonuses when they reach their target quota.
Opportunities for Advancement:
You need experience and seniority to be able to advance your career as a retail salesperson. From retail salesperson, you could advance to a supervisory or managerial position.