Medical and Clinical Laboratory Technician Course and Career Info Description
To be a medical and clinical laboratory technician, you need to take up B.S. in Medical Technology. This college course will equip you with the skills as well as the knowledge when it comes to detecting diseases through the use of medical equipments and machines, in addition to biology, math, science, physics, etc. The subjects you will be taught also include how to collect specimens as well as analyze and preserve them. In addition to these, B.S. in Medical Technology also teaches how to handle and test specimens such as blood and urine properly. You will be also taught here how to operate medical equipment for the diagnosis of diseases.
Cost of Education:
One semester of B.S. in Medical Technology will cost you about P40,000 to as much as P60,000, although the cost depends upon the institution. In public institutions, the cost is lower by about 20% to even 40%.
Top Universities for Course:
- University of Santo Tomas
- Philippine Women’s University in Manila
- Far Eastern University
- University of Perpetual Help System DALTA, located in Las Pinas City
- Manila Central University
- Saint Louis University
- Trinity University of Asia
Top Universities Link:
Course Skills and Factors
- Genuine desire to help and serve people
- Meticulousness and attentiveness to details
- Patience and respect for people
- Can work under stress and pressure
- Good knowledge of biology and clinical chemistry
- Skill in using medical laboratory equipments and tools
- Analytical mind
- The main responsibility of a medical and clinical laboratory technician is to perform laboratory testing through the use of routine medical laboratory equipments and tools. He assesses and analyzes the specimens for proper diagnosis of the disease and appropriate medical treatment. Other duties include collecting the specimens, recording the specimens, as well as conducting the tests.
Career Outlook and Global Demand
There is a high demand for Filipino medical and clinical laboratory technicians in Saudi Arabia.
The starting salary for medical and clinical laboratory technicians is usually at P11,000 to P15,000. For highly-trained professionals, the salary could go up to P20,000. If you apply for a job abroad, such as the United States or Canada, starting salary is at $3,000 monthly.
Opportunities for Advancement:
If you want to further your career, you can take up additional education which will give you opportunities to become a supervisor. With enough years and experience, you can even become chief medical or clinical laboratory technologist. You can even become a laboratory manager.